Sunday, December 14, 2014

Free is fun!

Hello all! Another week gone. Time crawls by and flies at the same time.

Where did the year go? It seems insane to think that this time last year I had less than 1 chapter of my thesis done and I was just finishing teaching my first semester at St. Bonaventure University, and I still wasn't completely sure that I should come to Korea. Yet here I am now, living in Korea.

I really enjoyed my week since I had Thursday essentially off (I had to deskwarm in my office but I got a lot of work done!), which was great since I have never had a day with no classes and have been going non-stop since like October. Phew!



I like to do things with my hair. The headband has a ribbon on it so I braided it into my hair. My 3rd graders were all about it.
 Tina and I decided to have a relaxing weekend,with the hopes of also not spending a lot of money. Well, we hit the jackpot on Friday. We went to a free makgeolli (Korean rice wine) tasting for ex-pats, where we met up with some people that I had met the last time I went to a tasting with Lauren and Janell. This time, Sarah, Tina, and I went and boy did we get our money's worth!

There was so much makgeolli! We got to try 8 different kinds, for free, plus some premium awesome kinds, and some made by people in attendance (they ran the last tasting!) and all of it was awesome. We got to chat with Jeanie, a friend of Tina and Sarah's orientation, and other new and old friends from the tasting and beyond. And the three of us got to chill and drink free alcohol. Don't worry, makgeolli isn't THAT strong.

Anyway, here is what it looked like:

Different kinds

All lined up!

People kept asking us if we were sisters. Apparently Sarah looks like our older sister.
 Now, awesomely enough, they had way too much makgeolli. At the end of the night, they made up grab bags of three random bottles of makgeolli. We each grabbed one, but then there was still so much extra so they were like "Take more!" Twist my arm, why don'tcha. We took some for our coworkers and our friends who could not make it. It's not like I'll drink 7 bottles myself.

Tina with the spoils. There is more in my backpack...
 My refrigerator was reminiscent of college this weekend. It had a bunch of alcohol and some condiments. Ahhh the simple life. We rectified that. More on that later.

Saturday we decided to go get brunch. There is a place called Pancakes Original Story that is right out of Omokyo station, which happens to be within a mile of where I live! Yay! So Lauren, Tina, Janell, Sarah and I made the trip (not far for Tina and I, though we were trying to figure out buses so it was an adventure) over.

It. Was. Glorious.
The interior.
 There were blankets on some of the chairs. Ours? 'Murica.
That's her "Tastes like FREEDOM" face.

Great girls and great food. Photo Cred to Janell.

Food focus.
 We got a Belgium (yes that is what they were called) waffle, french toast, chocolate chip pancakes, several kinds of sausage, eggs, bacon, and home fries. I cannot stress how wonderful it was. It really reminded me of home a lot.
In case you missed it.

OMG MAPLE SYRUP OM NOM NOM
 Now, I'm missing home reeeeeeeeeeeeeally badly right now, It's Christmas time, it's stressful at school, break/camp is coming up, and it doesn't reeeally feel like Christmas. Plus, it's my first time missing it. I'm glad I have Tina here, but it's really hard missing the rest of my family.

Chocolate chip pancakes are my dad's favorite. I love them too. So of course, I ate a piece of them. It was so delicious and wonderful that I actually, legitimately, literally teared up and started crying. Some things just get you. I composed myself enough to stuff my face with all sorts of delicious brunch foods, but the chocolate chip pancakes were the best.

We also got as stack of pancakes for free!
 After brunch we got coffee and shopped around the Hyundai Department Store for a bit. It's like all Coach and Prada, so we just looked at things mostly, but it was still fun.

Afterwords, Tina and I went grocery shopping at the always fun Emart and bought stuff to make ravioli and sauce and it was glorious. We also watch the terrible MTV show Are You the One? We studied some Korean, and bubble wrapped my windows for insulation even though my heat is now working.
This dog lives on my floor and it is wearing a sweater and pants. Awesome.

CAPTCHA y u make me miss home too?
All in all it was a really nice, relaxing weekend. I only wish it was longer. It's allllllmost time for a break for me, so I am just trying to tough it out. Tina is helping me a lot with Korean (which still frustrates the shit out of me but I am getting better) and studying hard herself. We can do it!

Finally, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!!! I'm so happy I'm your daughter and that you have supported me my whole life and continue to support me (and my love of Kraft macaroni and cheese and also oreos) from the other side of the world. I hope you have an awesome birthday! Love you lots.

Happy Holidays to everyone! It's getting so close to Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment